realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Monday, May 22, 2006

The Common Folk and The Conservative

One of the things I like about Richard Waghorne is his ability to take himself very seriously. Given that I agree with him a lot of the time, this blog has seldom anything to say about him.
Today, though, I'm laughing.
His blog Sicilian Notes tells us, with regard to Lyric FM , that “Those who consider nativist fiddling to be a taste of some sort could then listen to their peasant music on their own frequency without disrupting the balance of my carefully calibrated working environment.” (How can one express a catty screech in computer language? Is there a modified smiley to say "Ewwww"?)
Those little throw away comments from Richard are akin to Ann Coulter's trademark quotes - almost witty, but empty and sometimes downright intolerant.
Richard has disabled comments and recommends we email him. This is a public email. First off, I recommend that Richard buys an iPod or a CD player, thereby ensuring his work environment remains perfectly “calibrated” and free from those pesky peasants with fiddles.
Irish traditional music is not just peasant music nor does its worth an artform stem from its "nativist" quality. Calling it as such just makes Richard look uber-snobby and exclusive. But I think that's exactly how he wants us to think about him.
He's right about radio licensing here, but unfortunately his reliance on the old Tory image of conservatism just doesn't convince.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't listen to Lyric so I can't comment on the station but I was laughing out loud after reading Richard's comment. It was trolltastic whether true or not. He really did get his bitching hat on for that.

May 22, 2006 2:48 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

I started laughing after reading it. But then I started thinking (I know I really shouldn't do that) and then I found Richard's tone too smug and serious for a complaint about Lyric....

May 22, 2006 2:57 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

BTW, I actually respect RIchard, But I just couldn't resist being bitchy...

May 22, 2006 3:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done some of my best study to the Blue of the Night. What's great about Lyric is that the premium is placed on muscianship and people who take their music-making very seriously indeed. I'm well into my rock and roll, but music has very many ends and sometimes the high end workmanship just transports, whether its Martin Hayes or Hayden.

I find it hard to believe someone can like music, but not actually like Music.

The key for me is melody, the mathematics of harmony and counterpoint and rythym, whether it's Paul Simon or Brahms, or Ben Folds or the Queens of the Stone Age.

May 22, 2006 4:19 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

I agree. Auds. I replied as well.

May 22, 2006 6:40 p.m.  
Blogger G1.Seeker said...

do you know him? You could find out if his da has actually learned how to lecture in Chemistry properly or if he's still doing the half-assed disinterested job he was doing ten years ago.

May 23, 2006 11:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or if he's still doing the half-assed disinterested job he was doing ten years ago.

In fairness, Earle (the biological source of Richard's entitlement to the Canadian passport he desires so much) is far from alone in that regard.

As to the sniffing at the natives, I recall that the ORI (where FI-members go when they leave school?) described Gaelic as an aboriginal language some time ago...

May 26, 2006 2:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home