realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Jesus = A Dead Rabbi with A Girlfriend?

The title is from Mark Shea's interview with Matt Cooper on the Last Word about the Da Vinci Code, where he rubbishes the notion that the Council of Nicea voted that Jesus was divine.
As a blog title it's useless, as it tells nothing about the post's content, but as a line it's fantastic.
I actually want to talk about the top 50 conservative rock songs of all time - John Miller lists them in this month's National Review.
I'm no longer a subscriber to National Review, simply because I forgot to renew my subscription. But now I'm getting increasingly bored with what passes for conservative analysis in the States - I feel I've heard it all before. I think this stems from relying on bloglines to read blogs more so than the magazines/sites that I used to. So I'm unsubscribing from a rake of blogs that are currently preventing me from reading (and blogging about) interesting things.
Most of my recent blogging output has been about music, but now that my life is slowly returning to a semblance of a routine, I'll hopefully have more serious stuff.
But the top 50, as introduced by John Miller - On first glance, rock ’n’ roll music isn’t very conservative. It doesn’t fare much better on second or third glance (or listen), either. Neil Young has a new song called “Let’s Impeach the President.” Last year, the Rolling Stones made news with “Sweet Neo Con,” another anti-Bush ditty. For conservatives who enjoy rock, it isn’t hard to agree with the opinion Johnny Cash expressed in “The One on the Right Is on the Left”: “Don’t go mixin’ politics with the folk songs of our land / Just work on harmony and diction / Play your banjo well / And if you have political convictions, keep them to yourself.” In other words: Shut up and sing.

But some rock songs really are conservative — and there are more of them than you might think


Number 1 goes to the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again".
The Volokh Conspiracy provides the dirt. Might re-subscribe to NR digital over the next few days to get the rest of it.
"The conservative movement is full of disillusioned revolutionaries; this could be their theme song, an oath that swears off naive idealism once and for all"

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

have you read the right nation yet. If you are looking for a good read about conservative america

May 22, 2006 9:00 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

No, but have heard not so good things about it from friend who have.But it shall read sometime.

May 23, 2006 8:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home