realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

This is not a Cardinal post

like my last 2. A random coincidence - I didn't realise I was that interested in Cardinals until I saw my dashboard and the proliferation of little Cardinal posts.

Instead it's a very brief post about the 2 albums I've been playing on the iPod today - M.Ward's Transistor Radio and Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan's Ballad of the Broken Seas. Both are very good.
And I'm much impressed with my 2006 section of my iPod - I can put it all on to 1 playlist and not skip.

This is, in fact, a worthless and superfluous post, as most of my posts tend to be. But I just didn't want to leave this week's blogging output just about Cardinals - I have only read 2 novels about Cardinals and neither of them protrayed Cardinals in a good light - the first was Ethel Lillian Voynich's The Gadfly (which terrified me when I read at 14, have re read it since and enjoyed it much more) and Brian Moore's Colour of Blood - he's such an excellent novelist. But both have Cardinals with a whole fathering children, revolutionary thing going on.
I've also read Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin - but that's about the KGB/CIA thing with Jack Ryan flying about the place saving the day.
I haven't read The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman by Louis De Bernieres - it's about a Cardinal who's pregnant with a monster.
Are there any novels about a relatively nice Cardinal, whose sins don't end up causing madness, insanity or murder? Can't they not be like the rest of us and just end up in Purgatory for a few venials?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home