realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My Life is Now Complete

with the new supermarket Fresh opened in Smithfield.
Yesterday evening I pressed my nose up to the glass and frightened the builders inside as I tried to figure out what exactly was happening in the shop.
Today, I went in and bought some lovely things, including organic curry powder and lamb's liver (I'm a huge offal fan). The fruit and veg is seriously fresh and most organic.
I didn't have much time to browse though, but I noticed bottles of lime juice, fresh fish, a seriously good looking in store bakery and Nigella Lawson's pink peppercorns (not hers, but one of her books has a recipe using them - the only one I know that does)
This will be a huge improvement to my quality of life - no more treks to Tesco in Jervis or Supervalu on North King St and no more futile trips to the dearest Spar in Ireland. Fresh is here.

In a classic "I don't know, I only work here moment", I tried to engage the checkout guy in some chat beginning with "so, you just opened today". "I don't know" was the answer.

There's an interview with Sean Kelly the developer in the Sunday Business Post: "We've opened a 13,000-square-foot supermarket and it's all about fresh food, organic food and different products.

�We want you to say that: �I will destination shop in Smithfield. I'm going to walk by Tesco and ignore the Spar shop on the corner because I get better quality deli food and more choice.�

�The word Fresh reflects everything in it. There's too much Spar, Mace and Centra around. The guy in the street doesn't find the established supermarket brands attractive. You go there because it's convenient but we want to trade as a destination.�

Fresh will still sell the old reliables, but not cigarettes. �We're not going to sell cigarettes. I think it looks grotty in Tesco and I think most people would sooner go around to the local Spar. We're still going to sell Brennan's bread and Avonmore milk though."


I'm definitely on my way to becoming a cruchy conservative- I even brought a pile of old newspapers down to the recycling bin today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fence said...

Where exactly is this wonderful shoping mecca then? I usually use the jervis centre, either M&S or Tesco

January 12, 2006 11:37 a.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

In the brand new apartment blocks in Smithfield at the far end of them near the cobblestone pub.
At the moment it's the only thing which does make "destination shopping" a little too ardous but it's worth a visit.

January 12, 2006 1:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please point me in the direction of one, just one, recipe that produces even mildly tasty offal...

My Mother is the only person I know who enjoys offal...I'm now thinking its all connected to farm upbringings!!

January 12, 2006 3:50 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

For my Junior Cert home economics exam I made a liver with lemon and courgette casserole with brown rice.
It's a yummy dish but examiner siad the smell of liver makes her sick so she wouldn't try it.

Liver, fried to medium with mashed potato, white sauce and a dash of tomato sauce is one of my faourite comfort food dishes.

And I defy anyone not to love tongue sandwiches. Especially on brown bread with a little salt.

I had this very same conversation on the Luas today with 2 girls in my class. I was telling them about Fresh (we had ran out of boys, make up and medicine conversation at that stage) and the lovely young lambs liver I bought. This then progressed to the unique smell of a ram which can taint meat, liver dishes, tongue, pigs trotters and the giblets of chicken/turkey which my family fights over.
They were shocked and amazed and I don't think will ever look at me the same way.
It is a farming thing - you kill your own animals, put all of them into the deep freeze and then have to eat them.
I'd take tongue or liver over a chicken breast any day.

January 13, 2006 12:28 a.m.  
Blogger EWI said...

In the brand new apartment blocks in Smithfield at the far end of them near the cobblestone pub.
At the moment it's the only thing which does make "destination shopping" a little too ardous but it's worth a visit.


I was in there just yesterday. Not bad, though they could do with improving their bakery. Some of the bread was over-baked.

January 13, 2006 8:27 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

Improving the bakery?
I bought a carrot cake and it was as nice as I've bought anywhere - I really like carrot cake, so I know where of I speak!

January 14, 2006 11:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home