realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I arrived back from Washington yesterday – happily jetlagged and absolutely shattered due to no sleep on plane and reduced sleep for many nights. Oh, woe is me.
While I did read some stuff on bloglines, I had no time to blog and read all the emails, unpack and get updated on a week’s worth of local gossip (and what a week of gossip it was – why do all my friends’ lives get exciting when I go away?)

My first trip to Washington really had me questioning my chosen career of medicine – I quite literally did not think of my impending exams once over the week. Which is really quite scary – more importantly I just want to give it all up and start working in the Capitol/White House/some think tank/any mediocre outfit that would employ me.

Washington DC is cool. Arlington, Virginia where I spent 4 days of my week not quite so cool – except for the conveniently located Cheesecake Factory which resulted in tight squeeze into plane seat on the way home.
Unfortunately I did not have much time to go inside tourist attractions – I did get a late night tour of the Capitol which was very special (and got to sit in various Senators’ seats on the night of the Alito hearings! Still majorly chuffed over that)
I had a lovely walk on Saturday up the Mall and around by the White House and all the monuments. I also spent a few nights in Georgetown, including a very enjoyable night in Martin’s Tavern. And enjoyed lazy walks home through the deserted Downtown area afterwards.

Will now attempt to blog on a panoply of unrelated things….while gorging on Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – I keep meaning to see if these are sold anywhere here – anyone know???



2 Comments:

Blogger Student said...

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups... wouldn't bet on it. You might want to order them.

Great to see you back!

January 31, 2006 10:41 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

welcome back.

January 31, 2006 11:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home