realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Irish Meeja and more on McWilliams

He’s just gotten the spare opinion columnist job in the Independent – bad move I’d say for the Indo; an expensive one at that, I’m sure!
What’s he supposed to be? The conservative – fiscal or social? The intellectual – the one who reads other people’s stuff or the one who comes up with ideas?
The extraordinaire?
The Independent needs to mark its place in the changing daily paper market that will continue to provide serious challenges for it. The Irish Times is fine the way it is – if you’re looking for comfortable consensus on issues you’ll find it there with a few well known exceptions.
McWilliams just gives the Indo some supposed brain candy (even though there are a number of Irish women, myself included who like the eye candy).
I don’t know what you know about the Irish daily paper market, and I know very little, but unless the Indo provide a decent conservative replacement, they’ll have lose a section of the public who like to be challenged to their new competitors.

Despite my previous post, I’ll probably do the odd post over Christmas….



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eye candy? David McWilliams? You have got to be joking me? He doesn't do it for me at all...

December 22, 2005 10:10 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

Is it the hair do women like that sort of hair cut.

no I'm beginning to find him annoying with the whole nickname thing. It is just gone to far. and the kells angels is really lame.

But the big bite is one of the best programs on rte and is on a shockingly bad time. Who ever decides the rte sceudual should be fired.

December 22, 2005 11:00 p.m.  
Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Agree on a lot of the points being raised. I think McWilliams goes too far with the word-coinage. Also, he is perceived as something of a brain, and indeed, he conveys himself as being very articulate on his show. On any show I see him on - whether he's a guest or presenter - he looks like the presenter. He's got that confidence about him.

Don't know if its necessarily a bad move for the Independent - my family buy that paper anyway, but it would definately get me to open it, at least for the first few weeks. Certainly an expensive move though. Remember when he had the radio show that Dunphy took over from? Wasn't there something about Dunphy receiving a far larger salary than McWilliams? One assumes though, that McWilliams' demand has pushed his price up, he should know!

Happy Christmas, Auds.

December 23, 2005 10:34 a.m.  
Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Oh, I forgot. McWilliams is a hunk.

December 23, 2005 10:35 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been on the Big Bite a few times and I find him very friendly, genuine and a good presenter.
I also know lots of women who think he's hot. I suspect it's the braininess is next to sexiness thing.

December 23, 2005 10:55 a.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

I used to think he was very very hot when he presented Agenda - then I met him at a function and later met him on the Big Bite - the hotness had diminished but I liked him a lot - he does have that "presenter" confidence more so than "i have ideas that you too can believe in" confidence.

In recent times, I don't think he's hot at all - maybe to do with the fact he's a bit of an all-things-to-all-people man (from personal experience and that of friends) and that he omitted to corrrect the perception that he coined the celtic tiger....And his book is very much part of "rip-off ireland". He gleefully exploits the Irish people's lack of appreciation for David Brooks and we all think he's great for it.

Ah yes, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned... ;-)

(That sounds kinda dodgy - but his attractiveness decreased as the characteristics that marked him out decreased too)
(And I won't have liked the book even if I still thought he was hot - I'm not that fickle)
(all said, he probably is one of the best current affairs presenters on RTE at the mo. even though I used to fancy Mark Little a little until I met him too...)

December 23, 2005 9:33 p.m.  
Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Mark Little is a God; lovely hair, from Malahide and has TWO books! What more could you ask for?

December 24, 2005 12:38 p.m.  
Blogger Student said...

ok this conversation is a little bizarre but I for one am a huge fan of Davic McW. He's an extremely well-qualified economist and although it's obvious at times that he's trying to please everyone, he does speak his mind when he really wants to (some interviews he did on Newstalk 106 spring to mind). As for his attractiveness, I would have to tick the "no opinion" option if possible. Also Kells Angels and other invented phrases of his are rather silly.

Hope Christmas and St Ste's Day are treating everyone well.

December 26, 2005 5:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home