realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Weird Habits meme....

I’ve been memed by Winds and Breezes.
So my top 5 weird habits are ….

  1. Probably the most annoying to everyone who knows me – when I’m asked a question I’ll answer with “Pardon?” and then precede to answer the question (usually simultaneously with the question being repeated). I’ve been doing for ages – I remember one of my national school teachers giving out to me about it. I get particularly bad when I’m reading or on the computer – I’ll often say pardon, they’ll repeat and I’ll answer about 10 minutes later. My sister and flatmate really really hate it. I’ve tried to change, honest I have – but with very little success to date.

  2. I can get very evangelical about new music I have, or artists that friends don’t like but I do. This leads to impromptu sessions where I play them music – tell them how excellent it is and then cut it off after about a minute because I want them to listen to something else (which is equally as excellent).

  3. This is occupation specific – the classical way for a doctor to percuss someone’s abdomen/chest is to tap twice (you have to press the middle phalanx of your middle finger of your left hand hard against the patient and then tap with the pulpy tip of your middle finger of your right hand and the action is all about the elbow – or so I’m told). I tap 3 times and this means I will never be an excellent classical clinician. I might however, still become a good doctor. The other occupation specific weird habit that I have is that I love the way those anti-infection alcohol rubs dries on your hands – so much so that when I’m bored on a ward round, I’ll put on loads and then feel it dry.

  4. There are some things I just don’t touch - Dublin Bus poles and money.
Dublin Bus poles - not for infection reasons (but if I think about it for too long, I get queasy) but for their greasy and slightly warm texture. It’s disgusting so I never touch them. I believe I look as elegant as a gazelle, swaying gracefully in the breeze as the bus screeches to a stop. Eyewitnesses may disagree.
I don’t like real money. I’m quite fond of abstract money – the money in my bank account for example but I detest actual coinage and notes. Coins especially. I hate touching them – this is magnified in restraints – I hate to see money on the table where I’ve just eaten.
  1. I stick my tongue out subconsciously when I play the violin. I’m grand playing the piano but my tongue does a funny thing when I play the violin. And my upper lip curls when I see or touch lettuce. This has only started in the last few years but it is a very strange feeling and I discovered during my pre-exam-comfort-food addiction to colcannon that kale has the same effect on me.

I’m going to meme
Deagla
Wolfbeorn
Eagle
Kevin (mainly because I told the little sister who’s doing the Leaving to check out his posts on the auld English paper – she’s very impressed!)
Chris

I’ll let them know tomorrow….
This is the rule - The first player of this game starts with the topic “five weird habits of yourself,” and people who get tagged need to write an entry about their five weird habits as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose the next five people to be tagged and link to their web journals. Don’t forget to leave a comment in their blog or journal that says “You are tagged” (assuming they take comments) and tell them to read yours.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fence said...

If I didn't lean against bus stops I'd've fallen over waiting for the no. 44 to arrive on many an occasion. 30 mins wait was a good day.

Luckily I can now walk to work, so don't have that problem any more

December 20, 2005 11:44 a.m.  
Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Haha, cheers Auds! Glad to her your sister appreciated the poetry articles. I'll get round to the meme thing sometime this week.

December 20, 2005 10:26 p.m.  
Blogger Student said...

I can't believe it... ok I'll see what I can come up with that won't expose me to eternal ridicule.

December 22, 2005 2:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home