realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Monday, July 03, 2006

My Metro Crashed – 30 Dead But I’m Grand

Yet another entry in the “text messages you don’t want to get” series. This time from the baby sister on her holidays in Valencia.
My pulse shot up to 500 or thereabouts on receipt of the text. Rang the parents and they had just talked to her and she and all her friends were all grand – this was before it was on the news so it was kinda confused – I think she was on the metro that crashed or was waiting for it on the platform.
Last year my parents and herself were held hostage in our home overnight – my mother sent a similarly short, sweet and to her ears, reassuring text – “Held hostage after break-in. Fine now. Ring when you get a chance”.
I have just instituted a new family rule – no text messages about disasters without my prior permission over a phone call.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not the kinda text message you want to get! Scary stuff though.

July 03, 2006 11:19 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

thank god that your sis is ok.

July 03, 2006 11:32 p.m.  
Blogger Fence said...

I'm all for tect messaging, but sometimes people really need to send two. Just to claify certain situations.

Glad your sister is okay.

July 04, 2006 5:42 p.m.  
Blogger hesitant hack said...

Very glad your sister is ok. And I'm shocked (belatedly) to hear about your family's hostage situation last year - Longford, eh?

July 04, 2006 5:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home