realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Naomi Wolf and Jesus.....

From the Sunday Herald, via Dawn Patrol - Sarah Carey and I discussed Wolf's new book but I didn't notice this new clanger - Wolf might be a Bible-basher!

She pauses then reveals something astonishing: her encounter with Jesus.
Naomi Wolf's utterances on everything, from childbirth to Al Gore's demeanour , have a disproportionate effect on public opinion. This latest confessional, a self-acknowledged "bombshell", will make a generation of feminists cringe, while for her detractors, it will be the icing on the cake, plunging her into fresh controversy over her beliefs and her integrity as a feminist. Wolf's very soul is about to become a theological battleground, and she knows it.
"I am not going to be in the closet about this any more. I'm on a spiritual path, I answer to a higher authority," she says, laughing at the apparent absurdity of the statement. "I don't mean that in a kind of culty way. I'm here on the planet to make change and to help people in the best way that I can. I know what I have to do and if, in the course of doing that, some people get upset, or make fun of me, or attack me, that is not really important in the larger scheme of things."
My next question is more cautious. That higher authority, is it God? "Yeah, God. I believe absolutely that every single one of us is here with a spiritual mission. We come in knowing it and then we forget. If we're lucky, we re-remember. That's part of what this book is about, helping people re-listen to their soul because their soul knows exactly what they're supposed to be doing, even if it is not always clear it knows the direction in which to pull."

3 Comments:

Blogger Cian said...

Hi auds, i tried to track an email on the blog but couldnt find it, im posting about the election blog.
Great to see you interested. Email me at progressiveireland(@)yahoo.ie and ill fill you in on all the details.
Thanks
RR

February 01, 2006 6:46 p.m.  
Blogger An SpailpĂ­n said...

Isn't Naomi Wolf Jewish? If she's seening God that does not mean that she is also seeing Jesus. It may only be Bono.

February 03, 2006 11:37 a.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

She's Jewish but I think she has been a non believer and now is "re-listening to her soul".

I suppose if you're a U2 fan, listening to your soul should lead to an encounter with Bono at some stage.

February 03, 2006 3:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home