realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

U2. Croke Park. Perfect.

I could leave my review of the concert at that - one word - perfect, but given that I'm fairly verbose I'll expand a little.
Due to lunchbox mixups we didn't actually join the queue until 1.30. One group had just been let in so we were very near the front of that queue. Got the soundcheck - wild horses and vertigo (instead of unos, dos, tres, catorce we got unos, dos, tres, Hill 16 - how rock n' roll is that? ;-) )
After much moving from one queue are to another we got in at about 3.30. Went to straight to the pit and parked ourselves about halfway down pit (in between the 2 arms). 2 of my friends went to check out the merchandise and 2 of us stayed to mind our place. What a futile effort - incredibily rude people just pushed us out of their way - they literally stood in front of us and forced us to walk back. To prevent violence we went back up the pit and stood between the 2 arms, exactly flush with the middle of the stage - it was a great spot as the pit sloped downwards and we were standing on the highest point with a great view.
At 6.10 the Radiators started - despite Cait O'Riordan and their version of their own song "Faithful Departed" which Christy Moore later covered, they were basically rubbish. Snow Patrol came on around 7.15 and played a great set. I have "Final Straw" and don't listen to it much but I would definitely go see them live again.
U2 took the stage at about 8.55 - after about a million Mexican waves which were pretty cool to watch go around the stadium and several balls and frisbees flying around too (got hit in the back of the head with frisbee).
Set list was perfect.
Not much chat from Bono - most of it's here.
Highlights for me were Running to Stand Still, New Year's Day, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Love and Peace or Else (where Larry Mullen came down into the crowd with little baby drum kit, which Bono then played - I could see him thinking come on Larry, save me!), Pride, One, Where the Streets have no name and Yahweh. Yes, I know that's most of the concert but it was just one of those nights.
Can't wait for Running to Stand Still (dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi) and Yahweh tonight. Hopefully they'll play Out of Control as well.
Will post tommorrow about the lighting and all the various symbols they used - the lights were just amazing. Best million euros I've ever seen spent on bulbs.

3 Comments:

Blogger JL Pagano said...

Hey there! Thanks for the comment - fair play to you for posting a full review, I was too lazy ... how come you get to go both nights ya lucky sod???

June 25, 2005 3:07 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

Long boring story - Both nights because I got 1 standing ticket for Sat the time they went on sale in Feb from a friend who queued overnight down the country. I swapped that for a Friday standing so I could go with them with someone from boards.ie.
Then I got 4 tickets for Monday when they were released in May - 2 for me and 2 for sister - she's still going Monday but I swapped my 2 for 2 tonight - now her friend has pulled out of Monday - so I could possibly make it 3 in a row!
(despite having an exam Tues I might go!)

To be honest I'm a bit apprehensive about tonight - will it be as good? I'm like a child buzzing with excitement at Christmas after eating a pile of Smarties.

June 25, 2005 3:14 p.m.  
Blogger JL Pagano said...

Cool, best o' luck tonight - I'll check back to see how they compare...

Now I want a pile of Smarties.

June 25, 2005 3:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home