realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Music on Monday

I've decided to introduce a regular blog post every Monday with a CD or artist I really like and think everybody should listen to.
Given that I either buy or download at least 1 CD a week I should have plenty of material to keep me going.

2 artists to start off on - John Eddie and Maria Taylor.

In keeping with the Springsteen theme of the last few weeks, John Eddie took over from Bruce playing the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. Given that I didn't really know who he was, and a friend from New Jersey recommended him to me I decided to start with his last album Who the Hell Is John Eddie? The answer is a straightforward rocker with good song writing and a lot of talent. Some of the songs on the album are very autobiographical - Forty is about his age (and he how he consoles himself that Bruce and the Rolling Stones are older) and Play Some Skynyrd and Shithole Bar are about trying to play original stuff on the small bar circuit. Everything and If You're Here When I Get Back are just excellent rock along songs.

Maria Taylor is well know in certain circles and I came across here via Bright Eyes who does backing on one of the tracks on her debut CD,
11:11.
I listened to this album for the first time last night - I just took my pyjamas out of the tumble dryer so they were nice and toasty and took out Oscar Wilde's An Ideal Husband and planned to read for a half hour before going bed. I got so cosy and into Maria Taylor's CD that 6 spins later and much colder PJs, I went to bed after 2am! Which was not a good idea but her CD is. Folky, soulful, fab voice, great arrangements. That said, I might not be dying to play her again in 6 months but it's as good as you're going to get in the delicate female singer songwriter category.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home