realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Classify These As Good Times

Well, for me anyway. The rest of the world isn’t having it so good at the moment.
And the classification was at its strongest 2 weeks when I blogged my last post and went on holidays.
And now after spending 47 hours out of the last 60 hours at work – and I started work on Monday 8am and went straight from my front door to my bed last night for 9 hours sleep - I’m classifying my current mood as “about to fall over” (I’m home 90 minutes and have yet to move from my sofa – the laptop is, for the first time, actually on my lap). The thing is, I’ve 2 more full days of work – which is another 23-24 hours at least, that brings my weekly total to 80 hours approx (I actually had to use calculator function to figure that out!) in 5 days.
Enough whinging about the sad life of a NCHD – because the bizarre thing (and I mean this is really really bizarre as I kinda hated studying medicine) I love my work. While I posted sympathetically about IVDU (intravenous drug users) here before, I am becoming a little more cynical – for example – I was called at 5am to re-site a cannula in a patient who has no veins left anywhere – except the side of her foot where she can’t reach to inject – so I spend ages putting it in for her urgent antibiotics – at 10am I walk by – see security removing a man from the ward – turns out he’s the boyfriend, he brought her in heroin – she shot up through MY line in the toilet and then proceeded to have rather noisy intercourse with him in same eerily blue lit toilet before being interrupted by security. Thankfully I was off call and did not have site another cannula at that stage – I might have self-combusted at that point.
Vienna, where I was last week, is fantastically beautiful sunny, edifying, expensive for ice and lemon (2.40 for tap water!) and has a marvellous array of audioguides. I’m a bit of an audio guide demon – I insist on listening to all pieces about every single painting/sculpture/side door/staff toilet that is on them. I did the really really cool “Mozart was here” audio-walk – everything was great – I meant to post properly – and my hotel (the very brill K+K Maria Theresa which is now my favourite hotel chain) had free internet so I had no excuse for not posting, especially when I did check in occasionally on other blogs.
There’s a load of other posts I want to comment on or flag but given I spelt “or” “r” and couldn’t understand why it looked funny, I might go to bed now and do it tomorrow!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Speaking as someone who has done so little recently that he finds it difficult to fall asleep despite it being 4.30am, it sounds exciting, daunting, satisfying and bloody frustrating all at once. As long as you like it though...

And yes, audio guides rock. In Florence, I went so far as to listen to them in French first, then English. Which, on reflection, is pretty sad.

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself.

July 26, 2006 10:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes kevin that was very sad. :)

Auds Good luck with that hopfully it will become easier

July 27, 2006 9:06 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry auds, I take back my slagging of you re work!!! :o)

July 27, 2006 3:58 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

yes, nozzy, you'd damned better!
Sorry I was a bit short on the phone - see you Saturday at PB's party.

I like this random friends dropping by!

July 27, 2006 9:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home