realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

World Book Day – What Your Favourite Niece/Nephew Should Read

Not your children – because you want to educate them – but what your favourite niece/nephew should read to be inspired, to giggle and to stay up reading all night with a torch and a Golden Delicious apple (the way I spent most of my weekend nights as a teenager – lights out time correlated linearly with the good-great rating of the book).
Of course you can want your children (and the brats of nephews) to read these books too, but I think it’s kinda cool to be an aunt/uncle who brings books that can change lives/perspectives, or just change a dreary afternoon into a magical one.

My off-the-top-of-my-head choices are the Anne of the Green Gables series; all of Austen; Anne Frank's Diary; Elie Wiesel's Night; Solzenhetsyn's Cancer Ward (inspire them to be doctors!). I have many more but don’t have time to think through them.

Other blogs on world book day – Sinead (add Rebecca to that list too!) Richard, DL’s Kevin, In Fact Ah’s Colm.
They’re listing problems with books – I just have a problem with one sort of book – the textbook that’s liable to fracture a metatarsal on a gentle slide from the desktop. I don’t really like the ubiquitous pocket textbook either.
Textbooks just don’t suit my constitution.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Oh, well if textbooks count, then I think some more free-time is in order. Appropriately, it is those very textbooks that eat into the necessary free-time.

March 02, 2006 10:36 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

I'll write a quick post to

March 02, 2006 10:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason fiction is scarce on The Pile I have at the minute.. I will try to balance the books on that score soon.

*putting me coat on*

March 02, 2006 10:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home