realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

One Quick Thought on the Riots

While I was asleep in bed all day, most Dublin bloggers were on O’Connell St. (see below for details).
Like other bloggers, I learnt about what happened from bloggers.
Now as I drink the last of my flat 7UP and Diarolyte before I go to back to bed, I have only 1 thought – if I go down to O’Connell St next Saturday will I meet loads of Irish bloggers with digital cameras?
I don’t know if other bloggers have this experience but I occasionally think about my blog while I’m in the hospital or shopping or something, and marvel at how I can be this blogger online whose real identity is hidden to my readers – but yet I have disclosed a lot about myself here. And how my blog is hidden from my friends and most of those I spend my days with. (Yes, I’ve a crazy spilt up life).
I just find it kinda awesome that so many Irish bloggers were around town today, and were there independent of each other and all those around them. Not many ordinary Irish people are even aware of the Irish blog world, and here are a group of ordinary people who took it themselves to take picture, videos, write eyewitness reports about something happening in their city. And most people around them will never be aware of what they’ve done. And that’s a shame.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

Auds, I thought the exact same thing today. Especially when I read Delevan's piece, because I had just been on O'Connell St. about an hour previously.

In Fact, Ah comments that this is arguably "our finest moment." Perhaps, and as I was blogging today, I thought that this might just be the issue which kind of raised the profile of Irish blogging, as has happened in other countries. Probably not, we'll have to wait until the Sunday Papers. I guess the Election is the next definate mark to try again.

February 26, 2006 12:56 a.m.  
Blogger Maman Poulet said...

I was thinking this evening if I should keep my camera in my handbag - even though I take crap photos.

It is amazing that so many bloggers were around town today or at home blogging with their Tv's and Radios (the screen captures of Redmum are as interesting as many of the photo's to me anyway).

The blogs make tomorrows newspapers obsolete really in terms of reportage. I wonder about the impact of this all kicking off as the Sunday's were going to bed. I also thought about if any blogger or flickr photo's would be used by MSM outlets.

If this is what bloggers can do on the day of a riot I too wonder about the impact of blogs in terms of longer lasting 'moments' like elections. And yet I also wonder if people other than bloggers were reading blogs today. What were the stats like on the blogs that carried personal accounts and photos.

I am sure the post mortems will continue but today showed what is possible and what is so 'useful' (can't find another word for it) about blogs.

And I too think about my blog a lot during the day while travelling (the luas is a good spot) or working. I am not anonymous but do think about what it would be like to be anonymous and blog - although few of my close friends and none of my family or people I live with read or know about my blog. Get well soon Auds, I had that bug a few weeks ago and it was rotten.

February 26, 2006 1:18 a.m.  
Blogger EWI said...

The blogs make tomorrows newspapers obsolete really in terms of reportage. I wonder about the impact of this all kicking off as the Sunday's were going to bed. I also thought about if any blogger or flickr photo's would be used by MSM outlets.

Well if they are, then it's just as one more source of material. Seriously, there's no money to be made it blogging (pay-for-read defeats the purpose) and those who gain financially from it do so by being picked up into the 'real' press.

February 26, 2006 4:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home