realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Want to Know How Medical Research REALLY Works?

Read about it in The New Yorker -
I was sifting through all of these data, and I said to myself, ‘It can’t be this obvious,’ ” he recalled. “ ‘It can’t be the predominant factor in preeclampsia, because people would have discovered it by now.’ This couldn’t be just waiting for me.”
It's an article about the potentially very serious pregnancy disease, preeclampsia and a young non-obstetrician medical researcher, Ananth Karumanchi.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That was fascinating. I especially loved the part you quoted! I only ever saw pre-eclampsia mentioned on er so I really didn't know anything about it, apart from it being a Bad Thing.
When the article mentioned that "women who already suffer from medical conditions involving their blood vessels...seem to be more susceptible to preeclampsia", I instantly wondered about migraine. And google gave me a few gazillion medical research articles on links between the two. So there's something else for me to bitch and whine and moan about - I'm slightly more likely to develop preeclampsia during pregnancy. Damn. :-)

Sorry you haven't been getting much sleep. Hope you stored up enough, camel-style, for the past few years to get you through the next few. My sister said it does get a lot better though - she now seems to work fewer hours than I do! Good luck.

August 01, 2006 8:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I'm writing a newspaper feature about blogs and the people behind them. Would you like to be part of it? If so, please email me at ruth.doris@dailymail.ie or call me 087 6792974

Ruth

August 02, 2006 1:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home