realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

I'll have 1 of those, 2 of them and a new face!

French surgeons performed the first face transplant on a 38 year old woman at the weekend whose face was ravaged by dogs.
The RCS has working party on it and their report is here.
I'm a medical student with only 15 weeks to go before I'm a doctor and it's stories like this that just make me want to become a super-surgeon-woman who does such amazing things. That is, until I go to my 7.30 am tutorial in the morning and realise that temporary defuntioning colostomies aren't really that interesting. But playstation games are and according to the surgeon who presented at this week's grand rounds, we'd better be good at them if we want to become surgeons as most operations will be performed laproscopically in the future (through the keyhole!). That being said, I don't think I can fluff out of my surgical finals by telling them the reason I don't know all the causes of abdominal pain is because I finished all of the levels in Grand Theft Auto and therefore am well able to perform lap right hemicolectomies.
I've never actually played a playstation. My cousins used to have a sega and I was really bad at Sonic the Hedgehog.
A facial transplant sounds increasingly like something I'll never get to do!

1 Comments:

Blogger G1.Seeker said...

slightly related - GTA is CLASS.

slightly less related - my surgeon mate's favourite chat up line is a teary "I'm sorry for being so emotional - a newborn baby died in these hands today". Sick bastard, but I laughed, so what does that make me?...

unrelated - i have a 2.8mb mp3 of the U2 Love... cover. Quality isn't great (from a camera's mic) but better than nothing. mail me at sexitoni@hotmail.com if you want it.

December 02, 2005 10:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home