realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

How can the Public be Soooo Wrong?

The great unwashed were unforgivably wrong on 2 counts tonight.
Both incidents of grievous stupidity developed on ITV.
Watched the X Factor. Brenda was the best as she has been every week.
Then I watched Record of the Year 2005. Westlife's You Raise Me Up won. The other songs were Daniel Powter's Bad Day; James Blunt's Beautiful; McFly and Black Eyed Peas.
Both my favourites (Brenda and James Blunt) were voted off.
It's appalling - I'm nearly beginning to doubt the sanity of universal franchise.
How on earth could Brenda lose to the non-descript Shayne (what's with how it how he spells Shane?) and the insufferable Journey South?
As for Westlife - You Raise Me Up is one of those songs destined to be sung at the offertory procession of weddings - this is not the song that changes the nation. I don't need to see anymore ads that talk about how families are re-uniting and crotchedy animal-haters adopting puppies after hearing it. Every version I've heard of it is roughly the same. My favourite is probably Brian Kennedy's on the Secret Garden's last album.
The main thing is that Blunt lost. I really love his song. I even bought the album. I know it's mainstream pulpy mush but the romantic in me just wants someone to fall in love with the angel in me on the subway.... (no, don't feel compelled to dash my illusions)
Watching Strictly Come Dancing now. Hope Zoe Ball and her guy stay in. Their waltz was amazing.
Perhaps I should have voted myself instead of ranting. Or maybe even find something better to do on a Saturday night than watch television and eat Domino's pizza which didn't include the crust dunkin' dip - my favourite bit. Life is so tough sometimes.

8 Comments:

Blogger Fence said...

I'd agree totally with you about Brenda. Didn't see her tonight myself, but she is so much better than Journey South. My theory is that more teenage girls vote than any other demographic, and by and large they will vote for the cute fella's. That is why I thought Brenda might lose out. I think Shayne might actually win.

But I'll have to go "James Blunt! AAAAAAarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh." Hate his songs sooo very much.

December 10, 2005 10:42 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

Fence have to agree with everything you said.

December 11, 2005 10:35 p.m.  
Blogger Kevin Breathnach said...

How many times do I have to keep saying it? Democracy doesn't work!

December 11, 2005 11:04 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

I appreciate that anti-James Blunt sentiment is alive and well in the world and it makes me sad.
But as Chesterton said when man stops standing for something, he'll stand for anything (i'm paraphrasing and too lazy to get all his books off the shelf to find the exact quotation).
To stop that tendency toward universal blandness, I'm standing up for James Blunt alone.

Democracy is overrated.
Chesterton also said that tradition is the democracy of the dead. I can say authoratively that the dead would've loved Brenda, hated Westlife's Raise Me Up(but guiltily own 2 of their albums) and found james blunt traditionally good.

December 12, 2005 12:47 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed the second part of Strictly Come Dancing - who got booted out?

December 12, 2005 11:06 a.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

James and Camilla.

December 12, 2005 11:07 a.m.  
Blogger Fence said...

the saint how could you have possibly agreed with everything someone you mis-used an apostraphe said? Look at that fella's! The shame, the shame. If only blogger allowed me to edit I'd change it to fellas in an instant :)

December 12, 2005 2:22 p.m.  
Blogger Eagle said...

I haven't seen much of this program, to be honest, but I saw Brenda doing R-E-S-P-E-C-T on Sunday morning. No way that men of my age would have voted for anyone other than her. She was fantastic. I couldn't believe she was voted off. The rest of them were dull, uninpiring and totally lacking in sex appeal (at least in my eyes).

When my daughters told me what song she sang (they watch on Sat & Sun), I said to them, "Bad choice. Shouldn't mess with Aretha or Tina Turner". But, you know what? She can do it. It was the first (and only) performance of hers that I saw.

December 12, 2005 3:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home