realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! Deregulate Ticketmaster.

How could you NOT go see any band with such an exuberant name?
Just purchased my tickets on ticketmasterfor CYHSY!
I'm really bad at keeping personal resolutions - I had decided that I was not going to buy tickets for any of the small gigs I go to - the whelans and villages of this little town - from ticketmaster because they rip you off and you can get them cheaper at the venue. Example:Tift Merritt was 21.50 on ticketmaster plus 2euro while at the door we were charged 20euro. (just realised that my 4 year old IBM Thinkpad does not have the euro sign key. What have I been doing that I just notice it now???)
But then I met a classmate today who also enjoys indie/altcountry music and he told me that CYHSY was in ticketmaster's hot events and Tom Dunne got into a big text discussion with him about Tift Merritt and CYHSY, who were edging toward being voted Pet Sounds best album of the year last night. (He voted for Tift in Dunne's "Love of the Year" - mainly because she was, and I quote "hot". He claims that he loves the album though. Dunne never heard of her. Shame Tom. Shame. Shame on me too really, as I never listen to the radio.) I was bit premature with my top 19. CYHSY deserve a mention, even though I feel it'll be more of a 2006 album than a 2005.
All this CYHSY hype frightened me and the fear won out over principle. Especially as I hate missing ticket sales for concerts and then facing the guilt/desperation that is involved in deciding to get them through "other channels". Like Jose Gonzalez (the guy from the Sony Bravia ad) is all sold out for the Village on Monday.
So ticketmaster has won this time. And will win the next time I want to see a big act.
Why doesn't someone else get on the online ticket selling thing? I really hate the powerless feeling I get when tickets slip away from me and that blasted credit card fee.
The other question that's keeping me up at night is Josh Rouse or the Proclaimers Thursday???? A friend has extra tickets for the Proclaimers, who will be fun; or Josh Rouse, who I've seen before and is just playing the Village with his guitar????
Forget feminism, these are the difficulties faced by the modern girl - a cute dark haired blue eyed sensitive American singer-songwriter or 2 bespectacled craggy Scottish guys who's hike 500 miles in trench coats just to get drunk next me??? :-)
Anyway, get your Clap Your Hands Say Yeah tickets NOW before it's too late.....and buy the album for the stockings of any cool people you know.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got tickets the minute they were announced for Crawdaddy. I wonder, now with the move to The Village, are the tickets more expensive.

December 07, 2005 9:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

During the summer, I needed to book tickets for some concerts in France, and did it through ticketnet.fr.

Way more pleasant experience - no handling fee, just had to prove I was who I said I was, single delivery charge for the four tickets (10E for registered delivery to Ireland).

December 07, 2005 9:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on CYHSY - I love the album (and was sadly listening to it today when someone crashed in to me) so I'm definitely going to this. Also check out Broken Social Scene, an extremly populous (10 members) from Toronto who are on the following Saturday in Crawdaddy.

Yes, ticketbastard are a nightmare but I do recall reading about an Irish website that was trying to sell tickets. Will try and remember the name. If you're in Dublin, Road Records have tickets for most decent gigs.

I'm going to Jose Gonzalez but only because a forward-thinking pal who works in a record shop bought tickets.

December 07, 2005 8:17 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

Sorry to hear about your crash, Sinead - hope you're okay.
Have gotten tickets in Road Records before and Sound Cellar too (SC tend to keep tickets especially for sold out gigs and sell them closer to the day) but my daily commute does't involve temple bar and I can never remember to call in to get tickets. It's scandulous how much I associate tickets=online!
Heard good things about Broken Social Scene - don't have their album but have a Torontonian friend who said they were good. Must check them out.

December 07, 2005 11:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm ok thanks, not hurt thankfully, but doing the insurance stuff now, which in itself is painful.
Sound Cellar have been doing that for years with gigs. It's a real pin-all-your-hopes approach but I've picked up stuff last minute.
Tickets.ie are the folk I was thinking of, so keep an eye on that site too.

Jim Carroll gives the Broken Social Scene album 5 stars in today's Ticket.

Oh, and a bit of an update on the women bloggers thing over at sigla if you're interested...

December 09, 2005 4:31 p.m.  
Blogger Eagle said...

I can't remember how it's done, but you can add the euro sign to your keyboard. I'm sure Google has the answer somewhere. I think there was a mini program you that the EU provided at the time.

Also, it's just as well not to use the € sign on your keyboard because web browsers won't always understand it. You're better off using € (combine & with euro;). Same goes for the £ sign, which should be £ (combine & with pound;).

December 12, 2005 3:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home