realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Fr Trendy on Podge & Rodge

Very disturbed.
First, by the promise of Joe Dolan’s singing in Italian. Second, by Fr Brian D’Arcy on Podge and Rodge.
I find him nauseating.
“I’m an ordinary young man from the bog” (maybe in 1960 he was) “I’m just trying to be myself” (the rest of us aren’t?)
“The real answer or the funny answer?” to the question “what’s the difference between a cardinal and a mortal sin?” followed by his manic laugh, and weird gesticulations – he looks like he’s trying to smooth the tablecloth with his “iron-hands”.
He’s now suggesting that Podge should be Pope.
He also asks “who’d have me?” re: priestly marriage (I don't think it would be Christian to answer that one) More importantly, he says he’d marry the first priest for nothing; so Fr Brian usually just marries the wealthy ?
“If Elvis is not in heaven, I don’t want to be there” – because the promise of eternal happiness and union with the divine is simply not enough for the patron priest of show-biz – he wants a little bit of Jailhouse Rock too.

Update - Irish Eagle linked to an article by Ronan Mullen on Fr D'Arcy a few days ago. Eagle ends the article by saying "Father D'Arcy - yesterday's priest.". Watching P&R made me cringe so much. Fr D'Arcy is starting to fit my definition of a scare at bedtime. Well, that and the visions of himself and Elvis rockin' it up in heaven.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr. Trendy was funnier. What was the name of the "Jesus in the house" priest?

April 04, 2006 11:53 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

Brendan O'Connor?

Can't remember the priest name, though.

I used to find Don't Feed the Gondolas very funny. Which means I once found Sean Moncrieff funny. Gosh, I really was young then.

April 04, 2006 11:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the show on Network 2 on Fridays? The End? I loved the drunken callers on the answering machine and the tragically bad stand up comedians, more than half cut themselves.

April 05, 2006 12:05 a.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

No Don't remember that.
We watched the Late Late on Friday. No Network 2 Friday evening. (We've only 1 TV at home, becuase the mother thinks too much TV is bad for children's creativity - I think the late late probably sucked the life force out of us anyway)
But I'd never miss DFTG. I'm easily amused - especially by the callers at the end from Ahascragh.
The Panel just doesn't live up it.

April 05, 2006 12:09 a.m.  
Blogger Fence said...

Fr. Brian D'arcy was terrible. What was the deal with the constant fake laughter, it couldn't've been real could it?

Does anyone else think that Podge & Rodge have eased up on their persecution of their guests?

And I remember The End, it was great. Remember the cartoons about the sex lives of various animals?

April 05, 2006 9:59 a.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

Fence, it's the laughter that gets me too. It;s truly frightening.

I expected P&R to be much harder on him. But I seldom watch it so can't really comment if they've got easier.

April 05, 2006 10:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home