realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

A Querying

On a hot white chocolate study break, chatting with my flatmate and our conversation moved to the Death Notices and differences between our respective home local radios.
Shannonside FM has a little spiel that goes something like “the staff and friends of Shannonside FM wish to extend their deepest sympathies to all those bereaved” and Radio Kerry apparently has no such line.
I was wondering if we’re the only country that devotes roughly 5 minutes every few hours on local radio to listing off all the dead and their funeral arrangements.
I think it serves a healthy reminder of our mortality, something we are culturally quite comfortable with.
So, does any other country do radio death notices??
  
Update – on re-reading this post I realise that my life appears very pathetic – drinking hot chocolate and talking about death notices is not the cool hip life of students, but study cabin fever has set in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

I think it serves a healthy reminder of our mortality

amm I don't think it is that philosopical really. It is just that Irish people go to alot of funerals and don't want to miss one that they should have gone to

February 09, 2006 9:58 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

I don't think it's that philosophical really either but it sounds cool if it was.

February 09, 2006 10:03 p.m.  
Blogger Ennui said...

That is very interesting. As far as I know, there is nothing of the sort in America. In America, people prefer not to think of death, so they watch a lot of football and bad television as a distraction. Those who do think about death are considered too moody and are often tagged with being Cure fans. But I think more people should be aware of their mortality. I suppose the American obsession with Hollywood also keeps death at bay, because everyone knows that celebrities only die in movies. Unless, of course, their ratings are bad. Then they get shot by a crazed fan or overdose on heroin.

Great blog!

February 09, 2006 10:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home