realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Grammys and Schadenfreude

U2 won 5. Coldplay are disappointed. I’m so happy. Not for U2 but because the Grammys did not honour that Coldplay, a show band of singles. I don’t like Coldplay.
They just annoy me. I bought Parachutes and thought “not bad”. A Rush of Blood did nothing for me. Didn’t even bother with the last album.
U2 did however beat Springsteen in several categories, which did sadden me a little, but Coldplay’s pulverisation at U2 hands cheered me up.
The rock/pop categories never interest me as much as the categories further down the list.
Bruce Springsteen won “Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance” for Devils and Dust.
Best Alternative Music Album went to the White Stripe’s “Get Behind Me Satan”. In that category I would have put Death Cab for Cutie’s “Plans” and the amazing Arcade Fire’s “Funeral” ahead of it.
Best Female Country Vocal Performance went to Emmylou Harris, by far the best of the other nominees – Faith Hill, Gretchen Wilson, Lee Ann Womack and Trisha Yearwood.
Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal went to Restless by Allison Krauss – one of my favourite AKUS songs. It’s really brilliant.
They also won Best Country Instrumental Performance (beating Nickel Creek, who are in Dublin next week) and Best Country Album.
Best Country Collaboration With Vocals went to Faith Hill and Tim McGraw for some schmaltzy crap, skipping over the powerful Emmylou Harris/Rodney Crowell version of “Shelter from the Storm”.
Best Bluegrass went to the Del McCoury Band who are consistently excellent. Their collaboration with Steve Earle “The Mountain” is well worth getting.
The Folk category went to Tim O’Brien, a superb musician whose albums with his sister Molly are fantastic. John Prine’s Fair and Square got Best Contemporary Folk.
Not being a big fan of Senator Barack Obama, I was unpleasantly surprised with his award for the spoken word. I haven’t listened to it so probably shouldn’t judge, but still.
The only album which I don’t already own and want to own from the Grammys has to be The Complete Library Of Congress Recordings By Alan Lomax and John Szwed which sounds cool and won best album notes and historical. It includes Make Me A Pallet on Your Floor which is one of my favourite folk songs.
The only classical album I recognised that won was Mendelssohn: The Complete String Quartets by the Emerson String Quartet which my mother has.  I’m not at a stage of classical music appreciation where I can appreciate performance that much – I tend to get things just because I recognise composers or then just the soloists – Vanessa Mae, Nigel Kennedy, YoYo Ma, Jacqueline du Pre, Katherine Jenkins, etc Il Gardino Amronica is probably the only group I’m able to recognise.

2 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

I don’t like Coldplay.
They just annoy me.


Hurrah i have found my soul mate :)

February 09, 2006 9:59 p.m.  
Blogger Auds said...

Hurrah i have found my soul mate :)

Ah, we finally meet....

February 10, 2006 12:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home