realitycheck(dot)ie

Irish doctor with too many thoughts, too little time and a blog that's supposed to check in on reality.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

If You’ve A Few Extra Euros this Week…

Please pass them on to the Meningitis Research Foundation.

I have spent the last few days in ICU with the baby sister who developed meningococcal septicaemia despite being vaccinated against meningitis C. 4 days later she’s off the ventilator, lost the central line and now has the strength to brush her own teeth – and is coming to terms with how lucky she is to be alive.

She’s 17 and if my mother hadn’t recognised the symptoms of meningitis and convinced the locum GP who saw her to give penicillin, she’d probably be dead today.

I don’t even want to think about what would have happened if Monday wasn’t a bank holiday and she would’ve been back up in college.

So – please support the Meningitis Research Foundation.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God Auds I am sorry to hear that.

November 02, 2006 10:48 p.m.  
Blogger Fence said...

Thank god your mother knew the symptoms.

November 03, 2006 9:44 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus, hope your sis makes a speedy recovery.

November 03, 2006 3:59 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I"m really very sorry to hear this and thank God your mum caught it in time. I wish her hearty get well soon.

November 03, 2006 5:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, Auds, I'm SO sorry. I'm glad your mother was so on the ball. Something similar happened to the baby sister of a friend of mine and if her flatmate hadn't taken her to hospital, she wouldn't be around today, fully recovered, lovely, smart as hell and healthier than most people I know. But that fine line is very scary. Thank GOD for your mother. I'll say a prayer for your sister's full recovery. xxx

November 03, 2006 6:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I am so relieved for you. Sorry I didn't see this until now. Your sister is in my thoughts, as are your parents, who must still be in shock.

November 05, 2006 11:34 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

God I missed this too. Good to see that the news is good

November 11, 2006 11:47 p.m.  
Blogger G1.Seeker said...

Ditto the rest of them. Scary.

November 14, 2006 12:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 18, 2006 4:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 07, 2006 12:16 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 07, 2006 12:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home